Monday, March 3, 2014

Light and Dark

        Not everything is bright, and happy. It's not all butterflies and sunshine, and pretending that it is isn't healthy. Pretending that everything is fine only let's things fester.
         There is balance in everything.

         To give a relatively tangible example: body image. It's not healthy to hate oneself over being fat (or skinny), but it's also not healthy to be content with it at unhealthy levels. Literally. This is the problem I have with the positive body image crap, the implication seems to be "you're beautiful just the way you are, don't try to change." I don't know about anyone else, but I'm learning to not hate my body and not be ashamed of it... but I'm also not okay with staying here because it's bad for health and clothes shopping and I know better than to think appearance doesn't matter and everything I'd do to change my body feels better anyway.

           The process is positive, I suppose, but that's kind of the point. I see posts and people that try to be bright and sunshine-y all the time, and all it looks like to me is trying to push everything negative into the shadows where it can fester and fuck things up. It's perhaps better than the extreme I used to be on, but neither is good. The most positive way to be, I think, is a balance of accepting and working with both the darkness and the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment